Monday, July 12, 2010

SABC Baby!


Like stated before… God is great indeed!

Shayla here. Southern Alberta Bible Camp (SABC) was the shortest camp of our whole summer but definitely one of the largest. With three separate camps running and over 100 staff members it gave a much different feel than the smaller, intimate, very involved previous week. Different yet still so good!
With less responsibilities through the day we had an opportunity of taking some down time, do laundry, and to encourage and build relationships with staff and others that may have been over looked otherwise.
While at SABC I was able to reconnect with so many we worked along side at the ‘Identity’ youth conference in Lethbridge that fall. One of the girls I’ve stayed in contact with and been praying with was a cabin leader. She invited me to come share within her cabin and help lead devos.
I met a sweet, eight year old girl, who was asking to borrow slippers with the most endearing lisp. She introduced me to her cabin and friends and I was soon enjoying a meal with those younger girls, which was such a treat to me! The nurse Valerie, as well as John and Abby, continued to be a major encouragement to me and the rest of the team while at SABC.
You know those times when you are drawn to people and you have no idea why, but later it proves that it is a total God thing. This was a 14 yr old boy for me, who had a genetic disorder making him appear as though he was 8, was passed down in the foster care system, and was volunteering at SABC as base staff (dishes, cleaning, etc). He was led to the Lord by one of his foster parents but currently with a family who let him come to camp because they knew he was religious. My heart broke as he opened up sharing some of the things he had faced, including contemplating suicide a number of times all prior to the age of 12. He continued to share that 2 years ago he had given his life to God. We were able to pray for him and over him before we left. God has placed a very soft place in my heart for that one. So often we face challenges in our own lives that at the time we may not be able to understand, but later its through those experiences we are able to relate and minister to those that are facing something similar. It is true that ‘God works all things together for good.’
We had a packed last day at SABC. Two, hour and a half workshops, a fun show for pre-teens, and our full ‘Lost’ show. Throughout our time at the camp our prayer was for unity and that God would use what we had to share as a tool, an encouragement and a challenge. After the show the speaker Matt shared with us that the show lined up perfectly with the messages he had planned to share with the campers the rest of the week. God knows!! ☺

Please pray for:
- Challenge of fatigue, for health, strength and travel mercies.
- Continued unity as we learn more and more about God, our team, our purposes and ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Guys:
    I was looking for pictures for a collage of camp and this came up. It was truly a blessing to read that you guys had a wonderful time at camp. I didn't get the chance to say how much your dance show influenced me to change my ways. I was struggling with some of the things shown and it was great to see what I was doing wrong. Camp is a great experiance and I am glad I am one of many who have the opportunity to call it a home away from home considering I've attended it since I was a baby and worked there for the past 5 years. I really appreciate what you guys do! Just a funny note: I went to Caronport High School last year and remember watching you guys dance (FANTASTIC BY THE WAY) and teach my friends Bree, and Daniel, and Jesse in the Refined Undignified High School team.
    God Bless you guys and everything you do!
    Caitlyn Kurtzweg

    ReplyDelete